At a session of the Assembly of the BH Novinari Association, held in Sarajevo on 11 December 2004, and pursuant to Article 10 and 12 of the Law on Associations and Foundations of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of Bosnia and Herzegovina number 32/01), the Assembly of the BH Novinari Association has adopted the following
OF BH NOVINARI ASSOCIATION
The BH Novinari [BH Journalists] Association is a citizens' association set up on the basis of voluntary uniting of members of the following journalist organizations: the Independent Union of Professional Journalists from Sarajevo, the Independent Association of Journalists of Republika Srpska from Banja Luka and the Apel Association of Journalists from Mostar.
The BH Novinari Association is a non-party, free and voluntary association of journalists accepting this Statute, international standards of human rights and freedoms, ethical and professional standards of journalism in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the world and all the other documents that shall be adopted by the BH Novinari Association.
The BH Novinari Association shall operate in the entire territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In accordance with the law, this Statute establishes:
- the full and the abbreviated name of the BH Novinari Association,
- objectives of the BH Novinari Association,
- organization and bodies of the BH Novinari Association,
- rules for adopting amendments to the Statute and adopting other bylaws,
- rules for obtaining, using and managing the assets of the BH Novinari Association and supervising the usage of the assets,
- shape and contents of the seal,
- representation of the BH Novinari Association,
- joining the interest-based coalitions, alliances and other organization forms with other associations in the country and abroad,
- conditions and procedure for termination of operations of the BH Novinari Association,
- other issues of relevance for the organization and operations of the BH Novinari Association.
NAME AND SEAT
Full name of the Association is: BH Novinari Association [Udruženje/udruga "BH Novinari" in the vernacular].
The abbreviated name of the Association is: BHN.
The full and the abbreviated names of the BH Novinari Association is the same in all the three official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The name the BH Novinari Association is officially written in the Latin and the Cyrillic scripts.
The seat of the BH Novinari Association is in Sarajevo, at 5 Kralja Tvrtka Str., 5th floor.
The BH Novinari Association shall perform its activities in the entire territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The work of the Association shall be public and transparent, meaning that every piece of information concerning the work and business operations of the Association shall be available to media, individuals and the whole Bosnia and Herzegovina public.
The BH Novinari Association shall have its symbol depicting a blue pen with three yellow rings under which the Association's abbreviated name shall be written in the Latin and the Cyrillic scripts.
The Association shall have a round seal containing the full name and the seat of the Association.
The Governing Board of the BH Novinari Association shall render a decision on the seal and the manner of its use.
Objectives of the BH Novinari Association are the following:
- promotion and protection of professional, social and intellectual interests of its members,
- promotion of ethical standards and integrity of journalist profession,
- protection of freedom of speech and freedom of the press,
- improvement of working and social conditions of its members,
- protection of labor and other rights of journalists and other media workers,
- improvement of media-related legislation in Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- protection of public from misuse by media,
- establishment of cooperation with similar journalist and other associations in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the world in the aim of improving the position of media and journalists, strengthening civic society and promoting democracy,
- education of journalists and other media workers in the aim of expanding their knowledge and skills,
- printing and issuing of manuals, brochures, newspapers and other printed material of interest for media and journalists in Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- organization of meetings, seminars and public debates that will improve the work of the Association and bring about good reputation of the journalist profession and civic society values.
Membership in the BH Novinari Association is voluntary. Every citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina whose principal profession and source of income is journalism may be a member, irrespectively of whether he/she is an employee of a media organization or a free-lancer, and who accepts the Statute and other documents of the Association.
A person shall become a member of the Association by filing an application and signing a statement on acceptance of the Statute and the rules of the Association. The applicant is obliged to submit evidence that he/she is a professional journalist, that is, employment certificate, contract on assignment, evidence that he/she cooperates with media as a free-lancer or other documents confirming that the applicant fulfills the conditions to be a member of the BH Novinari Association as laid down by this Statute and special decision of the Governing Board of the Association.
The Governing Board shall render a decision on admission.
Members of the BH Novinari Association shall have the following rights:
- to elect the bodies of the Association and to be elected,
- to inform the Association's bodies of the status of journalists and other media workers,
- to point at violations of journalists' rights and restrictions of freedom of the press,
- to participate in meetings, seminars, training sessions and other public events organized by the Association's bodies,
- to use the services of the Free Media Help Line,
- to use benefits and discounts secured by the Governing Board and the Secretariat of the Association,
- to propose ways of achieving program objectives and improving the work of the Association's bodies.
Members of the BH Novinari Association shall have the following obligations:
- to work on establishment of professional and ethical standards in journalism and achievement of the Association's objectives,
- to work on protection of professional, labor and other rights of media workers,
- to react to all kinds of pressure on journalists and media and inform the Association's bodies and the Free Media Help Line about it,
- to fulfill obligations in the bodies of the Association,
- to regularly pay membership fee determined by the Association's Governing Board.
There shall be different kinds of members of the BH Novinari Association, as follows:
- full members,
- candidates for status of member,
- associate members, and
- honorary members.
Full members of the BH Novinari Association shall be professional journalists, whose permanent occupation is journalism and who have three (3) years of professional experience at least. A journalist with university or post-secondary education can be admitted as a full member. A journalist without university or post-secondary education, but with seven (7) years of professional experience at least may also be admitted as a full member.
A full member of the Association may elect and be elected to the bodies of the Association.
Should a full member change job and continue to work as a journalist on an on-and-off basis, he/she shall lose the status of a full member and become an associate member of the Association. If the member's new job is related to journalism, of which the Governing Board shall decide, the member can retain the status of full member.
Should a full member be appointed to the bodies of executive, legislative or judicial authorities, his/her membership shall be suspended and can be resumed once the member resumes working as a professional journalist.
Should journalism not be a full member's chief occupation for more than three (3) years, he/she shall lose the status of full member.
Journalists or journalism students or other students who work as journalists occasionally as part-time employees or who occasionally contribute to print and electronic media may be candidates for the status of member.
A candidate may apply for full membership, if he/she has had the status of "candidate for member" for at least three (3) years and if he/she has met other conditions for full membership in the Association.
Publicists and employees of public services, cultural and related institutions, domestic and foreign media organizations, who occasionally work as journalists, may be associate members of the Association.
Foreign nationals who are professional journalists reporting from Bosnia and Herzegovina or working for media in Bosnia and Herzegovina may be associate members of the Association.
Honorary members of the Association may be prominent public figures, publicists, professors, writers, businessmen, artists, activists of non-governmental organizations and civic society, prominent advocates of human rights and freedoms from Bosnia and Herzegovina and abroad who have contributed with their work to the development of the BH Novinari Association and protection of journalists' rights and freedom of media in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Membership in the BH Novinari Association is terminated by death, free will expressed in written form or expulsion.
At a proposal of the Journalists' Ethical Committee, the Governing Board may expel a member who has made a grave breach of program objectives of the BH Novinari Association, Statute and documents on ethical standards adopted by the Association, as well as the other rules prescribed for members of the Association, such as paying of membership fee and fulfilling of other obligations laid down by this Statute.
Membership in the BH Novinari Association, admission of new members, rights and obligations of members and rules and procedures for admission of members, termination of membership and expulsion shall be detailed in a separate decision of the Governing Board and Rulebook and procedures for admission of members.
ASSOCIATION'S ORGANIZATIONAL UNITS AND BODIES
The BH Novinari Association shall be made up of the following bodies and organizational units:
- Governing Board,
- Journalists' Ethical Committee,
- two Regional Centers, one in Mostar (1/D Faladžića Str.) and one in Banja Luka (1 Braće Pišteljića Str.), and
- Branch Offices.
The Assembly shall be the highest body of the BH Novinari Association, consisting of the Association members, honorary guests and guests.
The Assembly shall have 51 members/delegates appointed on the basis of proportional representation of members of the Regional Centers and Branch Offices of the Association.
The Assembly shall render decisions on the issues relevant for the work of the Association, that is, it shall carry out the following tasks:
- draft and adopt the Statute and its amendments,
- draft and adopt the Rulebook on the work of the Assembly, Action Plan, Financial Plan and other documents and decisions that are within its competence,
- give agreement for legal actions undertaken in the procedure of founding the BH Novinari Association,
- appoint and relieve members of the Governing Board and Journalists' Ethical Committee,
- elect and relieve the Chairman,
- adopt reports of the Association's bodies,
- decide on entering and leaving alliances, transformation and other statutory changes,
- determine general policies of the Association's bodies between two Assembly sessions.
The Assembly shall be held at least once a year or as the need arises, at the proposal of the Governing Board or 30 members of the Association at least.
The Assembly Chairman shall convene a session of the Assembly of the Association at least 15 days prior to the session.
Should the Assembly Chairman not convene a session of the Association Assembly within 30 days, the Governing Board of the Association shall render a decision on convening an Assembly session.
The Assembly shall be chaired by the Working Presidency consisting of four (4) members, three of which shall be appointed from the ranks of the Assembly delegates while the fourth member shall be the oldest delegate who shall also be the Chairman of the Assembly.
The Assembly shall appoint a record-taker and two (2) delegates to verify the record.
A record shall be taken at an Assembly session and upon the end of the session it shall be signed by the record-taker, two verifiers and the Assembly Chairman.
Decisions of the Assembly of the BH Novinari Association shall be valid if the majority of the delegates, that is, 51 are present. If there is no majority, the Assembly session shall be postponed and a new one convened within 30 days.
The Assembly shall make decisions with majority of votes of the present delegates. The one-delegate-one-vote principle shall be in effect in the Assembly's decision-making.
Detailed provisions on convening and work of the Assembly and the decision-making manner shall be regulated by Rulebook that shall be drafted and adopted by the Assembly of the Association at its first session.
Association's Governing Board
The Assembly shall elect the Governing Board of the BH Novinari Association for a term of two years. The Governing Board shall have 15 members. In the process of nominating candidates and electing members of the Governing Board attention shall be paid to equal regional and gender representation of candidates as well as representatives of all genres of journalism, that is, print journalism, electronic journalism and news agency journalism.
The Governing Board of the BH Novinari Association shall carry out the following tasks:
- prepare Assembly sessions,
- determine lists of candidates nominated for the Association's bodies and propose them to the Assembly,
- implement the Association's policies in line with guidelines and conclusions of the Assembly,
- manage the property of the BH Novinari Association,
- submit reports about its work to the Assembly once a year and publish its annual report,
- adopt decision, Rulebook and procedures for admission of members,
- make decisions on forming of working bodies, sections and other interest-based forms of journalists' organizing,
- determine draft Statute and other documents and propose amendments to the said documents,
- determine bylaws on the work of the Secretariat and oversee its work,
- determine financial policies and inform the Assembly once a year about the implementation of thereof,
- determine financial plan for the running year, monitor financial operations and publish it once a year at least,
- adopt Rulebook on its own work, which Rulebook shall detail the Governing Body's manner of operating, decision-making, convening of sessions and keeping of record and other issues relevant for the Board's work.
The President of the BH Novinari Association, who is the Chairman of the Governing Board by virtue of his office, shall run the Governing Board.
In case of a resignation, deliberate walk-out, dismissal, uncertified absence from three (3) sessions of the Governing Board and/or other reasons, the vacant position of a member of the Governing Board shall be filled with the next candidate with the biggest number of garnered votes in election for this body's members. The Assembly of the Association shall ratify the appointment of a new member of the Governing Board at its first next session.
Journalists' Ethical Committee
The Journalists' Ethical Committee shall decide about the issues concerning adherence with the Association's Statute, Code of Ethics and professional journalistic standards by the Association members.
The Journalists' Ethical Committee shall have five (5) members elected by the Assembly for a term of four (4) years. In the procedure of nominating candidates and electing members of the Journalists' Ethical Committee attention shall be paid to representation of all genres of journalism.
Detailed provisions on the work of the Journalists' Ethical Committee and decision-making manner shall be regulated by a special Rulebook to be adopted by the Association's Assembly.
The Assembly shall elect and relieve of duty the President of the Association with majority of votes of the Assembly delegates attending. The President of the BH Novinari Association shall be elected in a secret ballot between at least two (2) nominated candidates. The term of the President shall last four (4) years with a possibility of re-election.
The Association President shall also be the Chairman of the Governing Board by virtue of his office.
The Association President shall carry out the following duties:
- represent the Association in the country and abroad,
- represent the Association in legal transactions,
- run the Governing Board and carry out other duties determined by the Governing Board and the Assembly,
- publicly present the work of the Association, represent opinions and decisions of the Association and promote and protect journalists' rights and freedoms,
- ensure achieving of objectives, action plan and financial plan of the Association,
- make operative decisions of the interest for the Association, independently and/or in consultation with members of the Governing Board.
Should the term of the Association President be terminated because of death, resignation, deliberate walk-out, dismissal or other reasons, the Governing Board shall appoint one of the two deputy presidents as acting chairman of the Governing Board.
The Governing Board shall convene a session of the Assembly within three months at which a new president of the BH Novinari Association shall be elected.
Association Deputy Presidents
The BH Novinari Association shall have two (2) Deputy Presidents. One shall be elected to be in charge of tasks concerning journalistic ethics and improvement of the profession and the other in charge of tasks concerning social status of journalists and media.
The Governing Board shall elect Deputy Presidents of the Association from its ranks at the first constituent session. The Deputy Presidents' term shall be two years.
The Deputy Presidents shall represent the Association in the country and abroad with respect to the tasks the Assembly and the Governing Board has elected them for, replace the Association President from time to time and carry out other duties and tasks for which the Governing Board and Assembly authorize them.
Should the term of a Deputy President be terminated because of death, resignation, deliberate walk-out, dismissal or other reasons, the Governing Board shall appoint a Deputy President from its ranks.
The Secretariat is an administrative-technical body of the Governing Board and it shall carry out administrative duties and tasks.
The number of employees and job descriptions shall be determined by a decision of the Governing Board, as shall be the employees' monthly allowances in accordance with the General Agreement and funds of the BH Novinari Association.
Secretary General, whose term shall be four (4) years, shall head the Secretariat. The Secretary shall be appointed and relived of duty by the Governing Board. After the expiry of the term, the Secretary General may be re-elected.
Secretary General shall run the administration of the Association and carry out the following duties:
- provide administrative support for the bodies of the Association,
- prepare sessions of the Governing Board and other bodies of the Association,
- prepare action plan and projects and carry out all other activities that shall ensure unhindered work of the Association,
- manage the funds of the Association in accordance with the Financial Plan,
- manage the assets and take over financial and other obligations necessary for the functioning of the Association in accordance with special decision on manner of managing funds which shall be adopted by the Governing Board,
- inform the Governing Board at least once every three months about the current financial operations and financial projections for the following period.
The Assembly of the BH Novinari Association shall render a decision on forming of two Regional Centers, one in Mostar and Banja Luka each.
Regional Centers shall operate as organizational units of the Association and shall gather journalists and other media workers on the regional principle, resolve problems and needs of journalists and media in a certain region and contribute to achieving of objectives and operation program of the Association.
Detailed rules about operation of the Regional Centers in Mostar and Banja Luka shall be adopted by the Governing Board of the Association.
Branch offices shall represent the basic form of organizing within the BH Novinari Association. Branch offices may be set up in the media or the regions in which at least 20 members of the Association work.
The Governing Board shall pass a decision on forming of branch offices at the proposal of one of the Regional Centers.
Detailed rules on forming and operation of branch offices shall be adopted by the Governing Board of the Association.
PROPERTY AND INSTRUMENTS OF LABOR
The founders shall incorporate their property – instruments, objects and funds – into the BH Novinari Association and the property shall become the property of the Association.
The property of the BH Novinari Association shall consist of:
- fixed assets,
- financial resources, and
- instruments of labor.
Funds shall be provided from:
- membership fee, whose value shall be determined by the Governing Board that shall adopt an appropriate decision about it,
- gifts, and
- other sources in accordance with the law.
The Governing Board of the Association shall oversee the property, financial resources and managing of the instruments of labor, referred to in Article 49 of the Statute.
The Secretariat of the Association shall be obliged to conduct financial operations in accordance with the laws and other regulations in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
TRANSITIONAL AND FINAL PROVISIONS
Uniting With Similar Associations and Alliances
The BH Novinari Association can unite with similar associations, alliances and/or coalitions. Uniting shall be carried out with the aim of improving journalistic profession and achieving better results in the field of protection of journalists and improvement of media's and journalists' work conditions.
The Assembly of the Association shall pass a decision on uniting with other journalist associations, alliances and/or coalitions with majority of votes of the total number of the Assembly delegates.
Other journalist associations, organizations and institutions dealing in improvement of journalism and protection of media and journalists may join the BH Novinari Association pursuant to a legally adopted decision or freely expressed will of individuals or groups.
The Assembly of the Association shall render a decision on other associations', organizations' and institutions' joining the BH Novinari Association at a proposal of the Governing Board or written request filed directly with the Assembly of the BH Novinari Association by an organization, individual or a group that wishes to join the Association.
Termination of Association's Operations
The BH Novinari Association may cease operating due to inefficiency, inactivity, absence of reasons for the Association's further operations, unification with similar associations and alliances on the basis of a decision by the Assembly Association or a decision of the authorized state body.
The Assembly shall pass a decision on termination of operations of the Association with majority of votes of the total number of the Assembly delegates.
In case of termination of operations of the BH Novinari Association, stock-taking of all the assets and payment of liabilities shall be carried out.
The remaining assets shall be earmarked for humanitarian purposes in accordance with decision of the authorized liquidator (Governing Board) and donated to a media organization, journalist or media association or institution dealing in protection of journalists' rights and freedom of speech.
Amendments to the Statute shall be made in the manner and under the procedure stipulated in this Statute.
The Assembly shall interpret this Statute's provisions at its sessions.
Should the Assembly not be in session, the Governing Body of the Association shall be in charge of interpreting the Statute.
The Statute shall come into effect on the day it is passed and shall be implemented from the day the BH Novinari Association is registered with the authorized Ministry.